This bread is like since I was very small, on my vacation in Portugal, sliced \u200b\u200bfinite, with that tight yellow crumb cover salted butter: it is one of the flavors of my childhood. When you're small does not taste so flawed, and not so hard see a flavor or texture than those that are used to.
The recipe I wear today could be classified as "in process" is very rich, and increasingly more like the "real", but always things to improve next time. The broa of milho has many variations, basically a bread made with a high percentage of corn flour combined with wheat or rye, or even just corn. The preparation is simple, with only one weighed, but it has its tricks. I put here the recipe that I followed him (50% corn and 50% wheat), and then discuss the alternatives. For 1 loaf medium or 2 small:
-200 gr. yellow corn flour (I explain later)
-100 gr. wheat sourdough or preferment
-150 gr.
wheat flour -8 to 10 gr.
salt-about 320-340 gr. water (depending on flour)
Put the flour in a heatproof bowl and scald with (approximately) a 275-300 gr. boiling water, is added gradually, until it forms a pliable dough (not soft or later it will be impossible to amass). When mix has cooled otherwise the dough, flour, salt and a little more water and together with the cornmeal. It is a sandy ground, which at first dissolves easily: we knead for a while in a row or if you prefer, leave it in the bowl with a spatula be making continuous folded until you take a little more consistency and elasticity , which can form a ball, but will never be a mass of wheat. Then he bowls, the flour, left in a covered bowl and let it weigh about 3-4 hours or until doubled in size (a little crack surface). We light the oven at 220 º, we form (divide if you want) and put in the oven tray, not yield. When the oven is hot we put the bread and leave for 10 minutes at 220 º and then another 40 to 50 minutes (or longer depending on the size of the loaves) down to 180-200 °. Let it cool before eating, even better if you wait a day.
is one of those recipes that require a bit of eye textures and times: to catch the point mass, and for baking. This bread has to be a very tight crumb, almost looks like a cake, but tender (falls apart easily, see the photo, not a bite, it was broken) and a fairly thick crust and a little hard . For that need long cooking times, which is what I have missed this time to me, I would have liked to lose some more indoor humidity and more crust. However, it tastes great. I hereby also try increasing the amount of corn, and also making rye bread I know she will very rich.
The other is the issue of meal: several types of corn meal, and each serves for one thing. The Portuguese distinguish between yellow corn flour, white, and there are recipes with both. The broa, or at least that I like, is yellow flour, similar to that used for polenta, is a bit more rough and grainy, and the texture is noticeable after the bread. I used an organic Galician flour. The white (in Pictured from El Granero Integral) is more like cornstarch, and you can also make bread, but it seems more appropriate for other uses (also tried it for bread, but I'm not convinced the taste). In Internet there are many recipes and information on broa and other Portuguese cornbread. I leave here a couple of links that I have found particularly useful:
A broa of milho da nossa terra à table (of cereal and bread making)
Recipe Vai uma broa in Fatia? (to see the process)
0 comments:
Post a Comment